Info Blogs

The Story Behind the Rented motorcycles to Leh/Ladakh

Going to Ladakh is like a dream, not just for first timers but even for me who has been going to Ladakh for the last 10 years.

     Those dreams took a huge setback a few years back when the local taxi union made a point that four wheelers/Two Wheeler which are rented not from LEH will not be allowed to go to Khardungla/Nubra/Pangong/Tso Moriri/ Hanle.

  Any Person coming to Leh on a rented  four wheelers/Two Wheeler can come to Leh city and roam around the city on it but can not go beyond. He/She has to rent again locally in Leh to go further.

   So if someone is coming just to Leh city and going towards Kargil or Manali there is no issues.  

Union guys say that bikes should be in your name or immediate family like Mother,Father,Sister or brother. No cousins. Also you have to prove it with some sort of document.

:: Union Guys have made their strategic check post at key points where they do check, you might slip from one but they might get hold of you on another.

Mystery of Ladakh/Rohtang and Lahaul Spiti Permits

What is a permit? It’s an official document from the government which authorises you to travel to certain places which are off limits to civilians without it.

 In case of Ladakh ILP(Inner line Permit), residents of Ladakh and children below 12 years of age do not need to get ILP, they just need to carry a valid photo ID with them. 

  Rest all need to get ILP, they can get it done online or also by going to DC office Leh. The fees of LAdakh ILP is : Rs 400 + Rs 20/per Day.

   If you come by air,road or any other medium you need to get ILP to go to restricted areas. For example if you wanna go to Nubra via Khardungla La or beyond towards Turtuk, Pangong Tso via Chang La, Hanle,Tso Moriri, Dha and Hanu Village,  etc.

There is no official permit for Umling La, Photu La and Marsimik La. ILP does not include them.

   Coming from Srinagar to Leh via Road needs no permit, but in case of Manali to Leh you need permit of Rohtang. You can get it online, also Rohtang pass is closed on Tuesday. Going from Leh to Manali do not need any Rohtang permit.

 Zanskar from Kargil also need no permit. You can go to Padum Via Rangdum – Penzi La

There is no permit in Spiti, only Rohtang Pass permit is needed if you enter Spiti from the Rohtang Side. If you are going from Shimla – Kaza – Kunzum La towards Rohtang you do not need Rohang permit.

Shipkila is out of bound of civilians and there is no permit for it .

ILP Ladakh Permit :

Blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: